Orange blossom water* and honey give this cake a beautiful middle eastern flavour. Great with minted Tea!
To make minted tea (the Egyptian way) : Simply boil water,place one red tea bag (like Orange pekoe) in a cup with few leaves of fresh mint. Add water and let brew for few seconds. Remove tea bag and mint (optional) and sweeten with sugar if desired .
*You can purchase orange blossom water from most middle eastern markets
Recipe adopted from Everyday Food Magazine, you can find original recipe on Martha Stewart Living
To make Orange & Honey Cornmeal Cake you’ll need:
1/2 cup olive oil, plus more for pan
2 large free run eggs
1 cup organic raw sugar
1/2 cup fresh orange juice
1 1/4 spelt flour, spooned and levelled
1/2 cup organic yellow cornmeal ( I used Bob’s Red Mill Organic Cornmeal)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
Finely grated zest of 1 orange
1 Tbsp orange blossom water.
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush bottom and sides of an 10-inch round cake pan with.
– In a large bowl, whisk together oil, eggs, sugar, orange juice and orange blossom water until smooth.
– Add flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and orange zest; whisk gently to combine. Pour batter into prepared pan.
– Bake until a tester inserted in centre comes out clean, 35 to 40 minutes.
– Cool in pan 20 minutes. Place cake onto a rack.
– Heat honey in microwave for about 20 seconds. Brush honey all over the cake. Top with coconut.
– Cool completely before serving.