Try this colourful salad made with citrus dressing and crispy bread. Original recipe calls for frying the pita,however I baked it for a lighter version.
Serve chilled or at a moderate temperature
3 large eggplants,peeled and cubed
1 large red onion diced
2 to 3 cups chopped parsley
2 large tomatoes, diced
2 small pita breads
Oil for frying
Juice of 1 large lemon, white vinegar (about 1 tablespoon), 3 tablespoons olive oil, 2 teaspoons sumac, pinch of black pepper, salt to taste
– Sprinkle eggplant with salt, let sit in colander till all liquid is released. Rinse with cold water and dry. Use kitchen towel to make sure eggplant is completely dry.
– In a large skillet, pour enough oil to cover the eggplant. Heat the oil until it begins to smoke lightly. Fry eggplant in hot oil till golden brown, place on cookie sheet layered with kitchen paper to drain excess oil.
– Prepare vegetables and place in a large bowl with eggplant, set aside.
– Tear pita by hand into small pieces, distribute on one layer on a cookie sheet. Bake in 350 preheated oven till crispy.
– Stir vegetables to combine, mix dressing ingredients and add to vegetables.
– Add baked pita to salad, mix well. Add more dressing if needed.
– Serve … Enjoy!
Salada Méchouié is a typical Algerian salad. Colourful grilled peppers with Mediterranean seasoning makes it really special. Once vegetables are grilled,it is pretty easy to throw together. Perfect appetizer or side.
To make Salada Méchouié you’ll need:
3 red peppers
3 yellow peppers
1 head of garlic
1/2 C olive oil
For the dressing:
1 clove of garlic ,minced
Juice of 1 lemon
2 Tbsp vinegar
salt and pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Place vegetables on prepared pan. Drizzle vegetables with olive oil.
Bake in preheated oven for about 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender and lightly browned.
Let vegetables cool. Peel, and seed peppers and tomatoes; cut into strips. Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves out of their skin and mince. Transfer vegetables into a bowl.
For dressing :
Add minced garlic,vinegar and lemon juice to roasted vegetables. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Drizzle salad with more olive oil, about 2 tablespoons. Mix gently to combine the flavours. Let sit to cool and serve at room temperature.
Enjoy with rustic crusty bread.
This salad is great for lunch with boiled egg and some crackers or as a side.
1/2 a bunch of arugula.
1C coleslow mix.
1 small cucumber thinly chopped into half moons.
1/2C cherry tomatoes ,halved.
1/2 c mini carrots halved lengthwise.
2 Tbsp olive oil.
1 Tbsp venigar.
1 Tbsp plain greek yogurt.
– Mix Salad ingredients and set aside
– Mix olive oil and venigar untill mixed,add to yogurt.
– Drizzle dressing over salad.