Try this colourful salad made with citrus dressing and crispy bread. Original recipe calls for frying the pita,however I baked it for a lighter version.
Serve chilled or at a moderate temperature
3 large eggplants,peeled and cubed
1 large red onion diced
2 to 3 cups chopped parsley
2 large tomatoes, diced
2 small pita breads
Oil for frying
Juice of 1 large lemon, white vinegar (about 1 tablespoon), 3 tablespoons olive oil, 2 teaspoons sumac, pinch of black pepper, salt to taste
– Sprinkle eggplant with salt, let sit in colander till all liquid is released. Rinse with cold water and dry. Use kitchen towel to make sure eggplant is completely dry.
– In a large skillet, pour enough oil to cover the eggplant. Heat the oil until it begins to smoke lightly. Fry eggplant in hot oil till golden brown, place on cookie sheet layered with kitchen paper to drain excess oil.
– Prepare vegetables and place in a large bowl with eggplant, set aside.
– Tear pita by hand into small pieces, distribute on one layer on a cookie sheet. Bake in 350 preheated oven till crispy.
– Stir vegetables to combine, mix dressing ingredients and add to vegetables.
– Add baked pita to salad, mix well. Add more dressing if needed.
– Serve … Enjoy!