I substituted a mixture of einkorn and spelt flour for regular flour, more oil is needed while kneading the dough,as einkorn is a little bit sticky.
I also used a food processor to knead the dough, then kneaded it by hand for 5 more minutes. Using a food processor makes it easier to obtain fluffy rolls in a snap!
Enjoy krachel with butter and your favourite fruit jam, accompanied by Moroccan mint tea. Yummy!
To make Ancient Flour Krachel you’ll need:
2 1/2 cups einkorn flour
2 cups spelt flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons anise seeds
2 free range large eggs, lightly beaten
3/4 cup warm milk
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1/2 cup melted butter
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons orange flower water
zest of 2 limes
1 egg beaten for glaze
Sesame seeds for sprinkling on rolls
– Dissolve yeast and 1 tsp sugar in milk , set aside and and let prove till bubbly.
– Mix eggs with orange flower water and lime zest.
– Put the flours, salt , sugar and aniseeds into the bowl of the food processor.Pulse few times to mix.
– Turn on the machine and pour in melted butter,oil and egg mixture. Process until the dough forms a rotating very soft ball.
– You may need to add more flour (about 1/4 cup) if dough is too sticky to handle.
– Place dough in an extra large oiled bowl, knead with oiled hands for about five minutes, until very smooth.
– Cover bowl with a towel and let rise until doubled, about 2 hours.
– Punch down dough and form into balls.
– Place balls two inches apart in a baking sheet lined with parchment paper,cover with towel and allow to rise for 25 minutes.
– Brush balls with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
– Bake in 350 F preheated oven for 25 minutes.
– Let the krachel cool on a wire rack.