Have you tried brain? Brain is very popular in Egypt, sold fried as fast food in local restaurants. Brain needs to be well soaked in water and lemon or vinegar before cleaned then immersed in boiled water for few minutes as it is very fragile and cooks quickly. Usually sold in Middle Eastern butchers, or in Meat section of Middle Eastern grocery stores.
To Make Fried brain you’ll need
To soak the brain: Water , vinegar (2 table spoons) ,juice of one large lemon
2 whole lamb brains
Bread crumbs – about 2 cups
(2 – 3) large eggs
Cumin (about 2 teaspoons)
Salt and pepper to taste
Oil for frying ( I use sun flower oil)
– Soak the brains in water so that the water cover the brain
– Add vinegar , juice of one lemon, leave lemon halves in water
– Keep in fridge for couple of hours
– Drain the brain, gently pull the covering membrane . Make sure not to press hard.
– In a large pot boil enough water to cover the brain. Once boiled, add to pot. Add one teaspoon cumin
– Boil for 5 minutes , remove with large slotted spoon. Place in a colander to drain.
– Let rest till cool enough to handle
– Using a large chef knife,cut up brain into large cubes
– In a shallow dish, whisk egg with 2 tbsp (lemon juice) water. Add half teaspoon cumin, season with salt and pepper to taste.
– In a separate shallow dish, combine bread crumbs with half a teaspoon cumin, add salt and pepper to taste.
– Dip brain cubes into egg mixture to coat all over. Dip into bread crumbs to coat evenly.
– In large non-stick skillet, heat 1 cup oil over medium heat; fry brain until crispy, about 4 minutes. Remove to platter lined with kitchen paper to soak up excess oil and keep warm.
Serve with lemon wedges. Dip in salsa if desired.