Msakhan is a famous Palestinian dish, it is basically cooked chicken seasoned with lots of onions, olive oil and sumac. Msakhan is usually served over speacial bread called Markook. I served it in gluten free tortillas as a kind of Quesadillas !
So enjoy this yummy dish and give your stomach a break from wheat for a change . Bon Appetit!
To make Quesadillas Stuffed With Msakhan You’ll need:
For the chicken
1 (3 Ib) whole chicken
2 large onions, halved
3 cardmom pods
1 tsp black pepper corns
2 bay leaves
1 large tomato quartered
salt to taste
For the Msakhan
3 large red onions
1/4 C extra version olive oil
2 tsp sumac
1 tsp each lemon salt,salt ,ground black pepper
More olive oil and sumac for tortillas.
For the chicken
– Fill a large soup pot with enough water to cover chicken. Bring a to boil.
– Add chicken (skim off foam). Add onions, tomatoes and spices.
– Reduce heat and simmer semi-covered for about one hour or until chicken meat falls off of the bones.
– Remove chicken from pot, set aside. Strain broth, keep for other use. It freezes very well.
To make the msakhan
– Cut chicken breasts and thighs into cubes.
– Heat half amount of olive oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat,stir in onion rings, season with half amount of spices. Cook onions till translucent.
– Add remaining olive oil. Stir in chicken. Toss with remaining spices.
– Heat on low heat for few minutes.
– Brush tortillas from one side with olive oil and sumac , turn tortillas and spread with chicken mixture.
– Cover with another tortilla. brush top of tortillas with more olive oil and sumac.
– Bake in preheated 350 F oven for 5 minutes.
– Cut into wedges and serve.
I served it with Green Split Pea Soup, great winter meal. Enjoy !