This is a famous, easy to prepare middle eastern pudding, usually it is flavoured with orange blossom water . I skipped the blossom water and used regular vanilla extract as it does not go well with the caramel flavour.
Kushta Cream is used in preparing Mhalabiya, you can substitute same amount of regular thick cream if not available. You Can find kushta cream in middle eastern markets.
To Make (Mhalabiya ) Caramel Vanilla Pudding you’ll need
4 C milk (3% fat)
3 heaped Tbsp tapioca starch
12 Tbsp raw sugar
1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 (6 oz) can Kushta Cream – or regular thick cream.
Caramel spread ; commercial or home made (I used Bonne Maman Caramel Spread)
Chopped pistachio for garnish
– Put milk in a large sauce pan, add tapioca starch and whisk till starch dissolves completely in milk. Add sugar and vanilla extract.
– Cook mixture on low heat, while whisking continuously until mixture starts to thicken.
– Add Kushta Cream (or regular thick cream), Stir till bubbly.
– Pour pudding in ramekins or glass containers, let rest until set.
– Heat caramel sauce in microwave until slightly runny (about 30 sec) , gently pour onto pudding.
– Garnish with chopped pistachios.
– Let pudding set completely, chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Serve cold.