So, I finally recieved my einkorn flour from Saskatchewan. I mentioned it on my Going Wheatless! post .
It smells so different from usual All purpose flour.I also find the dough to be much stickier ,so I have a bowl of oil beside to use while stretching the dough.
The first attempt ,I used four cups of Einkorn to make pure einkorn loaf .The results were not so good,the loaf came out too heavy ,we ate the bread any way, but the recipe was a real failure .
So I tried to adapt my Spelt – Kamut Rolls recipe,mixing einkorn with spelt flour. The dough came out great.
My husband said to me happily “Oh, it looks like real bread!” .I felt so proud of myself.
Now I have to invest in a decent bread slicer, to convince my son this is real bread !
1 C water
1/4 C sugar
1/4 C olive oil
1 large egg + 1/2 tsp white venigar
1 C whole spelt
2 C Einkorn flour
3 Tbsp mashed potato flakes
3/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp yeast
1 egg (beaten)
– Place wet ingredients in the pan of the bread machine. Add both kinds of flours and potato flakes,then salt and yeast. Make sure yeast does not touch water . Select “dough/pasta” settings, and press Start.
– Let the dough rest 30 minutes then shape into a loaf.
– Brush a loaf pan with oil and place dough into pan.
– Cover and let rise 30 more minutes.
– Brush with egg yolk.
– Bake in 350 F preheated oven for 30 minutes. It should sound hollow when tapped on bottom.
– Cool completely on wire rack before slicing.
This bread is great for sandwiches . And best of all it is CLEAN !